Abuse and Neglect 101
Did you know?
- Every five days the equivalent of a classroom of American children dies from abuse or neglect.
- It is estimated that one out of two American children will be directly harmed by this epidemic.
- 12.5 million American children will be sexually molested before they are 18 years of age.
- The U.S. has more child maltreatment deaths than any other industrialized nation, ranking highest in both the total number of deaths and deaths on a per capita basis.
- The U.S. is one of only two countries that have not ratified the United Nations treaty protecting children. The other is Somalia, which has no government.
A New Approach
Rather than spending billions of dollars dealing with the fallout of child abuse after it has occurred, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children is dedicated to ending the suffering caused by abuse by focusing on its prevention. By raising awareness and implementing education and prevention efforts, we will improve the lives of millions of American children. We will create a unified voice to end this epidemic. Your support will make this possible.